Quote

"To get rich, never risk your health. For it is the truth that health is the wealth of wealth."

-Richard Baker, American Congressman

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Dude...

"'I’ve torn my ACL, chipped my front tooth, and had surgery – all without insurance,' said a local snowboarder who wished to remain anonymous. 'Now I have $400 a month automatically taken out of my paycheck because I have $40,000 worth of medical bills. I think I could have afforded health insurance.'"

Read the entire article on Planet Jackson Hole Online.

The importance of reviewing your insurance policy -

"Dawn Sheue at Summit Insurance Services believes that she can find affordable health care for most people in Jackson, especially the ski-toting yahoo. 'You have to know how to play the game,' she explained. 'Health insurance is not something you want to settle into because we never see [premium] rates decrease. That’s the reason we review our clients if not every year, every two years.'"

An important quality in an insurance broker (who works for the insured, rather than an agent, who works for the insurance company) -

"Sheue reviews her client’s premium rates this often to make sure they are getting the most affordable rate out there. 'My loyalty is not with the insurance company but with my client. You’re going to have to move from carrier to carrier every two to three years to get that introductory rate. And that’s how you win the game.'"

The reader comments of the article highlight a growing debate in this country surrounding personal versus shared responsibility. I'll tell you my own personal experience is affected. I play soccer once or twice a week and I am thinking about that high deductible insurance plan when I'm out there, believe you me.

Reader Comments

This sounds a lot like my experience in 1983 where I was injured while skiing and had no health insurance. But with the help of the community and 7 years of payments I was able to payoff my debit, but it was the support of everyone in Jackson that helped me make it thru a very tough time in my life. I remember talking to an insurance agent a few years after my accident and he told me that he had never sold so much health insurance coverage until after my accident. Health insurance is something you take for granted until you need it and don't have it.
Don Dahlin

Those who go skiing and get injured, get what they deserve. The idea of financially helping out someone who participates in frivolous/dangerous activities for their own pleasure is absurd.
tushy

If a person chooses a snowboard/skiis/clothing/other gear/travel/lift tickets over health insurance premiums, does he really deserve our tears?
Mike

No comments: