Quote

"To get rich, never risk your health. For it is the truth that health is the wealth of wealth."

-Richard Baker, American Congressman

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ooh, What's That Smell?

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I obviously do not wear antiperspirant.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGE IS GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING -



That was the "C" in YMCA. After seeing that photo on my friend Alanna's digital camera, I stuck with "A".

Well, not only do you have the benefit of grossing out everyone around you at, oh say, a wedding reception in Istanbul, but you also avoid those nasty yellow armpit stains on your lightly-colored shirts, that is, if you avoid using antiperspirant (whose active ingredient is aluminum).

My cousin/godfather has told me for years that aluminum is toxic and contributes to the development of Alzheimer's. He dissuades his friends and family from using even aluminum foil.

Another article in today's Daily Mail suggests that people forgo deodorant use altogether, and that antiperspirants, in particular, have been linked with increased cancer rates, especially that of the breast.

At the risk of alienating my European readers, uh, that might fly over on the stinkier side of the Atlantic, but not here in the land of 2 showers a day. You might want to try out a natural deodorant like one of those crystals. My uncle John uses one of those and I've never noticed a foul smell coming from his direction.

Definitely cut out the antiperspirants, people. Then my sweatiness won't be such a conspicuous problem, er, trait of mine. Did you ever think about how it would affect me? Did you? Plus less cancer and less Alzheimer's are added bonuses.

No comments: